For homeowners, having a garage attached to your property is one of the most sought-after features. Investing in a car is a huge investment, and for most people it comes with financial sacrifices that can last for years. And when you have spent that much money, why would you want to risk your car being vulnerable to damage. Whether that’s the risk of vandalism, UV exposure, damage from harsh weather or exposure to bird droppings, leaves or tree sap- all these things can be a hazard for your car. Having a garage not only offers protection for your car, but it’s also a great way to keep your house organised. Your garage can be a way to store all of your DIY clutter and tools, while also being a feature that adds value to your property. Here at We Buy Any House, we have compiled our top tips to help you create the perfect garage.
Draft a Floor Plan:
Before you attempt any reorganising or decoration, it’s a good idea to draft a floor plan. Even if you opt to go with a manufacturer, you will more than likely have to research how you are going to store all the things in your garage. Before you declutter or buy anything, make note of where everything is in the garage. This includes windows, doors, shelving and switches, in addition to making note of how much room your car takes up (if you intend to keep storing your garage in there).
Clearing Out Your Existing Garage:
Even though the purpose of a garage is to house your car, for a lot of homeowners, they find it hard to get their car in the garage due to the amount of clutter and space that has been taken up by unnecessary storage. If you want your garage to be a suitable space that comfortably fits both your car and your possessions, then you may need to declutter. A few tips to help you get started including:
- Making time for the decluttering. This involves setting aside either a full day, or even a weekend to ensure the job is done.
- If you don’t think you can tackle it alone, invite family and friends to lend you a helping hand to make the job easier.
It’s important to create a system that works. Start by creating three piles: donate, sell and keep. By chalking sections on the floor, you can place items in each pile. This way you can effectively sort the things in the garage in the shortest amount of time.
How to Build a Garage:
Building a garage is easier than it seems, unless you’re talking about building it from the ground up. The type of building we’re talking about is more creation and involves more organisation than tools and hard hats. Investing in a bespoke shelving system, or a practical storage system that works for you will allow you to keep your garage not only safe, but also organised. A few tips to bear in mind include:
- Remember not to overload your shelving. It’s easy to forget that shelving also has a weight limit, so keep this in mind when you’re stacking your shelves. Putting up more shelves and evenly distributing the weight will protect you from ending up with broken shelves and a huge mess.
- It’s important to keep heavier objects closer to the ground. Don’t overload the top shelves with heavy or bulky items, unless you want to run the risk of an injury or collapsed shelving. It may not seem convenient to keep the heavier items on the bottom shelving, but in terms of practicality, it makes the most sense.
- Know what you’re storing. It’s critical that you keep harsh, toxic and flammable chemicals away from anywhere they can cause a disaster. There are plenty of ways to keep your garage safe, and you could even consider investing in a chemical storage shed.
Set Up Stations:
Although you may have organised the bulk of your garage, now you need to think of ease factors. A great way to make your garage not only accessible but to help maintain it. An easy way to do this is by setting up various stations that hold the correct equipment. Creating a space for lawn equipment, interior DIY and outdoor sports activities will help you have the right space for the right things.
This article was written by a quick house sale company We Buy Any House. If you’re wondering “how can I sell my house fast?”, head to the We Buy Any House website for more information relating to all property related enquiries